Bounding Overwatch (Successive)
This technique is used when enemy contact is probable or expected, and when speed is more important than security
- Elements move by bounds, with at least one element in a position to provide overwatch
- Elements move on the best covered and concealed route
- The Lead Element maneuvers to a position where it can overwatch the movement of the Trail Element, this establishes the overwatch line.
- When the Lead Element is in position, the Trail Element moves to a position on line with the Lead Element
- When the Trail Element is in position it overwatches as the Lead Element moves forward to the next line
- Do not rush this movement... take your time in the game, ensure you use the terrain to mask your movement.
- If you can mask your movement behind a hill, smoke screen, woodline,etc. then you can move fast, otherwise move on hunt or normal movement speeds.
- Give your units pauses from time to time (of varying lengths), especially when your movement could be watched by an enemy unit.
- When moving into an overwatch position, especially if moving from masked to unmasked, move to your last waypoint at Hunt speed.
- It is possible to plan this movement out so both units are moving in the same turn. To do this you must uses pauses on waypoints to hold a unit in overwatch until the other has moved into its position. This takes practice to get right, so PRACTICE!!